For no temptation (no trial regarded as enticing to sin), [no matter how it comes or where it leads] has overtaken you and laid hold on you that is not common to man [that is, no temptation or trial has come to you that is beyond human resistance and that is not adjusted and adapted and belonging to human experience, and such as man can bear]. But God is faithful [to His Word and to His compassionate nature], and He [can be trusted] not to let you be tempted and tried and assayed beyond your ability and strength of resistance and power to endure, but with the temptation He will [always] also provide the way out (the means of escape to a landing place), that you may be capable and strong and powerful to bear up under it patiently . 1 Corinthians 10:13.amp.
The reading and study of Gods word is very important and we should take to thought carefully words when used,so we dont interpret out of context,cause one word,misunderstood can completely cause a total misunderstanding of the intent of that scripture.
i would like to begin by clearly defining and telling the difference between a temptation and a test.I have heard people using them interchangeably but from my studies they don’t mean the same thing.
- A Temptation is something that seduces or has the quality to seduce;
the desire to have or do something that you should avoid;
the synonym for temptations is Enticement.
the verb for temptation is tempt: which means ,Provoke someone to something through(often false or exagerated) promises or persuasion.
The main idea of any temptation is to make you sin,or do something wrong.
- AUTHOR OF TEMPTATION
The main author of temptation is satan the devil.
“And the tempter came and said to Him, If You are God’s Son, command these stones to be made [loaves of] bread.”
How do we know he is the tempter,in verse 5,he is actually called by his character
” Then the devil took Him into the holy city and placed Him on a turret (pinnacle, gable) of the temple sanctuary”
- He is the author of all your temptations.
- Satan main tool for his temptations is the things of this world,the things that appeals to the flesh.
1John 2:15-17 :
15 Do not love or cherish the world or the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world–the lust of the flesh [craving for sensual gratification] and the lust of the eyes [greedy longings of the mind] and the pride of life [assurance in one’s own resources or in the stability of earthly things]–these do not come from the Father but are from the world [itself].
17 And the world passes away and disappears, and with it the forbidden cravings (the passionate desires, the lust) of it; but he who does the will of God and carries out His purposes in his life abides (remains) forever.
He tried to entice Jesus with the world and the things in it;
- James 1:13-15,gives us a clear picture about temptations
13 Let no one say when he is tempted, I am tempted from God; for God is incapable of
being tempted by [what is] evil and He Himself tempts no one.
14 But every person is tempted when he is drawn away, enticed and baited by his own evil desire (lust, passions).
15 Then the evil desire, when it has conceived, gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is fully matured, brings forth death.
- God is incapable of being tempted by evil and tempts no man;that means anything that tries to seduce you to sin isn’t from God and God cannot tempt anyone with evil.God doesn’t use Evil as a tool.God cannot tempt any man.
.17 Every good gift and every perfect (free, large, full) gift is from above; it comes down
from the Father of all [that gives] light, in [the shining of] Whom there can be no variation [rising or setting] or shadow cast by His turning [as in an eclipse].
5 And this is the message [the message of promise] which we have heard from Him and now are reporting to you: God is Light, and there is no darkness in Him at all [no, not in any way].
There’s is absolutely no darkness in God and God is incapable of using Evil to tempt his children or man.
Evils speaks of anything bad.sickness,pain,poverty,death,lies;think of anything that’s evil its not from God.Every good and perfect gift comes from God.The devil cannot produce good, there’s no good in him.
- Satan uses our passions and lusts as baits to tempt us;James 1:16
- The result of yielding to temptation is sin and death;not necessarily physical death but it affects the communion you have with the holy spirit.
- We need to know that Satan is the most trickiest fellow that has ever existed;we should not be ignorant of his devises;one who is called the father of liars.2Corinthians 2:11;John 8:44.
- He is the serpent and the serpent is one of the cunniest creatures God created;Genesis 3:1;Revelations 12:9;Revelations 20:2.
- He is your Adversary; 1Peter 5:8 (an adversary is someone who offers opposition), Satan opposes anyone and anything of God.
- Satan is after you;believe it or not,he is.
- A Test is ; trial of of something to see if it works or how it works;
- Any standardized procedure for measuring sensitivity,memory,intelligence, aptitude or personality;
- A set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge.
- The main idea of a test is to bring out the best in you.You can only come out better after a test.
Genesis 22:1 ” AFTER THESE events, God tested and proved Abraham and said to him, Abraham! And he said, Here I am. “
God tested and proved: to prove here means to ;Establish beyond every doubt.
So a Test ,proves you beyond any doubters that you are what you are.
We see the story of Job,his situation was both a test and a temptation,why?
Satan’s intent was to get Job to sin and Gods intent was to prove Job beyond every doubt that he was what God said he was.
If we remember,God had boasted about Job and every time we confess what Gods word says we are,Satan the tempter always wants to tempt you and God allows him cause our word must be tried.Job 1,2.
In the trial of Abraham we don’t hear satan participating at all,it was all of Gods intent to promote Abraham.
Genesis 22:13-18 ,Abraham passed the test and he was promoted to a new level in God,he discovered a fresh revelation about God.
In your walk with God expect to go through trials and temptations.James 1:2-4;
2 Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are
Understand a test is the proving of your faith…produces qualities that will be useful for your christian walk.So consider it Joy,cause at the end you will be prepared and lack nothing.Dont cry when you are tempted or tested but be glad and rejoice.
according to 1corinthians 10:13;
- Temptation is a common thing,don’t make it a big deal.Everyone goes through temptations.
- You can handle it;God knows you can handle it,hence he picked you for that one;God trust his grace in you.
- God is faithful;He will not let you fall..Psalms 121:3
- Be assured there a way of escape,this doesn’t mean weakness,but in the temptation God gives you a way by which you capable,strong and powerful,you are able to bear up under it.
- Gold when put through the fire only comes out better.